Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shut the Hell Up!

I don't exactly remember writing this poem, but it's pretty obvious how I was feeling at the time. This poem was my reaction--pure and unfiltered--to some unwanted counsel on the subject of a budding relationship. **Warning: watch out for the four-letter words. (I don't normally use them in regular conversation, but they do tend to show up in my poems...)

Shut the Hell Up!

Shut up.
Shut up.
Would you please just shut the hell up!

you act like you just said the most brilliant thing ever heard:
"think about it"
like no one on the whole planet in the whole history of civilization
has ever thought about it before you had this brilliant revelation

like thinking about it would illuminate some miracle solution
like my non-thoughts are riddled with chaos and confusion
like i'm maintaining my disillusion by not thinking about it
shit...that's exactly what your problem is

you're trying to handle matters of the heart with the mind
like this abstract emotion follows something as rational as the laws of time
like there's a simple, observable pattern that it always follows
like it'll move seamlessly through my digestive tract if all i do is swallow

but that's the most ridiculous think i've ever heard
and the more you speak the more you sound absurd
so please...shut the hell up!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Poetess spits venom. Whoa. I feel emotion in each and every word. Poets often channel what they are not feeling, so I will not assume it is real/true. If it is though, whoa, your muse needs to read it.

Substance said...

@Speaksbeliefs Ha! This was actually inspired by true events...and yes, I did eventually give a copy to the muse. (He got the point.)

G Lucciano said...

Oh ok... LOL
I'm totally feeling this one..

Jazz said...

Yessss...to all unsolicited advisors: Shut the hell up! I can feel the rage here. Did the advice have some truth in it that touched a nerve??

Substance said...

@Jazzzyone Unsolicited advisors should be prepared to be met with hostility. And no...their advice wasn't truth; it was annoyingly off base. LOL

Terry (whyguy) said...

Wow, powerful stuff!