Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Could (Never) Be That Girl

Let's keep it real for a moment...
Have you ever caught yourself looking at a young girl and her baby,
wondering where the father is? Judging her and her "mistakes"?
Praising yourself for not having ended up in her situation? I have.
But then I realized that I'm subject to the same feelings and
biological processes as those girls...and it could so easily be me.

I Could (Never) Be That Girl

that could easily be me
the girl with the good-looking baby
(with the good hair)
and the no-good baby daddy

the girl that got swept off her feet
in a wave of emotion
only to find herself caught up
in a rip current of commotion
and drama

the girl that would have to tell her mamma
that she's gonna give birth
to the seed
of a particular breed of male
that's never done a good deed
in his whole life

the girl whose whole life would change
(changing diapers)
the girl whose life perspective would never be the same
the girl who would be forced to choose a name
for the next generation of herself

the girl that would have to reevaluate
her idea of wealth
and fitness
and youth
and etiquette

that indefinite girl could so easily be me
could be any one of us
at any time
every time
we open our hearts
followed shortly by our legs
(which happens to be
the path to our womb)

but like you
i just assume

that it will never happen to me

6 comments:

AMBIANCE OF LUV said...

Everyone has a story and I try to allow compassion to operate instead of opinions of shoulda, coulda and woulda. Great piece! More people should read it!

~AMBIANCE OF LUV

essence_thapoet said...

I love this! This is a poem that really needs to be heard and read..because it can (never) be one of us!

Jazz said...

I like how you step into "that girl's" shoes to empathize instead of judge. My worst nightmare as a teen (and now) is being "that girl". I haven't been 100% responsible but knocked on plenty of wood (no pun intended), so "there, but for the grace of God, go I".

Hiding Behind Words said...

I've had the same thought pattern as you regarding girls/women pushing strollers w/o a man in sight. Love the sentiment and compassion in your words.

There is nothing that separates me from that girl but GRACE (as the Jazzzyone said).

Cheri Paris Edwards said...

Please give the girl pushing the stroller a "sister-smile" when you see her. I am "that" girl. My last leaves for college on Sunday. I'll be posting a blog about our some of our experiences getting there soon.

Speaks Beliefs said...

beautifully written, as usual. honest. real. it's as if you had a pen and pad with you at the moment you saw the young mother with child. substance from the poetess.