Friday, August 21, 2009

Change Happens (apparently)

So, I'm notorious for scribbling random thoughts in random notebooks, forgetting all about them, and rediscovering them way later. That's pretty much the story behind this poem. I know I wrote it 2 yrs ago, because I dated it...but I can't tell you the inspiration behind this one. I don't even remember writing it, but it's in my handwriting, so...(shrug). Let me know what you think.

Change Happens

change...
it's not always a good thing but it happens
to anything that grows
you can't stop it
you can only influence the direction that it goes

ask anyone who knows about civil rights
and the ongoing struggle that turned into a fight
that turned into a movement led by a people
who resisted oppression and demanded freedom
they demanded change
in the face of opposition that demanded more of the same
the people demanded change
and so change came

but change doesn't need the collective voice of a distressed population
change only needs time to affect the present situation
the only uncertainty is the extent of modification
that change brings when it comes

and change is never done
it will simply wax and wane
ebb and flow
shrink and grow
into something new
into something different than what we're used to

sometimes change is called a transition
in leadership change is called succession
a change to written words is called a revision
a turnover in sports indicates a change of possession

call it what you want
growing, learning, moving, aging, rearranging...
it's all changing
as long as time continues to pass
it's foolish to think anything will last
change happens


2 comments:

Nadwah Dunya Awad said...

I like your poem. I write poetry myself.

Check out my blog if you want.

Comments and a follow would be greatly appreciated. =]

http://www.cherryvomit.com

Corey said...

These could be lyrics to a hiphop/rap tune. Well written and the message comes through.